Tuesday, August 27, 2019

NEVER...EVER SAY "NEVER"...AGAIN. EDDIE RETURNS TO SNL Words By Raymond Tyler

The last thing I read before I went to bed last night still has me smiling.

Reading that Eddie Murphy was returning to Saturday Night Live was like finding money in the street.

I have reserved to myself to believing that after reports that Murphy took a great joke by David Spade super personal and after numerous appearances at The SNL Anniversary Shows that Murphy had basically put SNL forever behind him.

I never liked that choice but understood.

Eddie Murphy was in the next to last class of true ROCK STARS in my book.

Eddie for decades has been bigger than Saturday Night Live and still may be.

Infact for those that don't know...Eddie may be the reason that SNL survived at all after the original cast moved on. And has been the only member after the original cast to be as big or bigger than Chevy Chase, Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi.

I also understand why he came back.
Life, loss, wins and losses and loving makes you change your mind.

I will most likely throw a private watch event for this....

I am already setting my expectations for a great surprise ...hoping that like when Richard Pryor hosted SNL,  Murphy will bring Black Hollywood and extra special guests like Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock.

I am however, also managing my expectations...I was so young and so junior high when Eddie created Gumby and Mr. Robinson. Not many people can recapture that lightning.

I recall seeing The Jacksons perform I Want You Back in their 30's and I was underwhelmed...I had to face the cold facts that I had missed The Jackson 5 and they wasn't coming back. Still when they performed I Want You Back in their 50's at their 30th Anniversary show...I appreciated that they still had the moves and enjoyed the music. And that they were enjoying the music...maybe MORE than when they were first at Motown.

I have no idea how Eddie Murphy will do...but I am there for all of it and if I was young I would want to be in the audience (at my age I so do not...)

I do pray he above all enjoys the experience and that perhaps Murphy, Keenan Wayans and Robert Townsend will do another stand up comedy film (that I will be in the audience for.)

Eddie if you read this JUST HAVE FUN....



Please Support Our Sponsors and Upcoming Events





No comments:

Post a Comment

THE FILM AND STREAM CLUB: DAVEY AND GOLIATH EASTER SHOW

Where do the years go. I remember being 7 or 8 and waking up early one Easter morning. Even though I am Seventh Day Adventist m...