Thursday, June 13, 2019

THE PERRY /PEACE DISCUSSION : SHE'S GOTTA HAVE IT

Writer Crystal Perry discusses why Spike Lee is genius and why "Nola Darling," works both in 1986 and 2019.

Writer Joe Peace discusses why Spike Lee is a cultural icon and why Nola Darling works in 1986 and 2019 (although he's kind of tired of Mars, Greer and Jamie.)











IT'S A NOLA DARLING JOINT !
WORDS BY CRYSTAL PERRY



I enjoy Spike Lee’s She’s Gotta Have It.  The original which aired in 1986 explored the life of an aspiring artist, Nola Darling, who lived in Brooklyn New York.  Her journey during this time reflected on whether she was a “freak”, determined to live beyond limitations set forth by the male agenda, while attempting to discover her voice within her art.  For Nola this encompassed oil paintings that reflected her environment in which she lived, her community in which a reflection of herself was en grained, and her emerging sexuality that provided the foundational component in her artistic vision.


Fast forward to the newer series now played on Netflix, Nola is in the 21st century, dealing with today’s issues concerning environment, community, and an ever evolving sexuality, while continuing to confront the male agenda, and how unwanted expectations can increase the longing for freedom, self expression, and personal growth.  

Nola’s journey is rich with personal choice that is indicative of her creative voice when her artistic ownership is threatened.  Her personal relationships are examined, not only from a male perspective, but also challenged when lesbian possibilities become more evident within her life, all while attempting to remain authentic, and to allow the process of self expression to guide her vision.

Indeed, Spike Lee is a genius in many ways, and I think his updated rendition of She’s Gotta Have It is a must see by all women during this time because Nola Darling could be anyone of us, and for that I think her journey is inspiring.



_________________

HOW BROOKLYN CHANGED THE WORLD!
WORDS BY JOE PEACE


I am old enough to remember what being a black artist was like before Spike Lee. I wanted to be a film maker but I really saw no path. In fact any path to any dream as a black artist at that time meant hoping a more established non-black artist would offer some help. And then one day some friends Donnie, Shawn and Angel took me to The Little Arts Theater to see a film called She's Gotta Have It. I have always enjoyed She's Gotta Have It for being the first black film to break through, to start the revolution, to give artists in every genre permission to tell all the stories of our cultures. What I never liked is the circus of film makers that came after with one ghetto/drug dealer story after another.
She's Gotta Have It could be called a love story, a lust story or empowerment story. I never felt bad for Nola. She is a character that embraced every part of her being and lived in every moment

I feel sorry for all the women and men that aren't Nola. I feel bad for me when I don't live up to being Spike or Nola. Nola absolutely controlled what role the people she allowed in her life to play.
Fast forward to today's series now in Season 2 on Netflix. Spike continues this story of love, lust and power. I was comfortable with the Mars, Jamie and Greer of 1986 (I have even met Spike, Redmon Hicks and John Canada Terrell.)
The 21st century versions strike me as no less authentic but I do not get their motivation. Yes... Nola is still fine and special. While something about each of the 21st century group doesn't ring true. I think Spike will hit gold by exploring the one relationship he really could not in 1986, and that is the possibilities of Nola and Opal. Either way a trip through Spike's Brooklyn with out dope dealers and ghetto stories will always have me as a fan whether the screen is in a theater or my home.



THANKS FOR WATCHING AND READING
PLEASE SHARE
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR LIVE EVENTS AND SPONSORS







1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written, and I hope the word gets out about this series. It's extremely entertaining and informative, because the issues that are confronted in the updated series are issues we deal with in our everyday lives. Keep art alive in our hearts, our families, and in our communities because it's how we relate to each other. #Golden

    ReplyDelete

THE FILM AND STREAM CLUB: DAVEY AND GOLIATH EASTER SHOW

Where do the years go. I remember being 7 or 8 and waking up early one Easter morning. Even though I am Seventh Day Adventist m...